2006-03-09

Multi-pass implementation sucks

so I bought a multi-pass for The Daily Show last night. I was waiting all last night for iTunes to give me a dialog box or something (a Growl notification would have been nice, but that's just wishing on my part), but it didn't do anything.

finally, when I checked my email, I got this:

The latest episode of The Daily Show is now available for you to download. Simply sign in to iTunes and it will begin downloading immediately.

  1. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart 3/08/06

sign in? but I'm already signed in! I'm always signed in!

I tried quitting iTunes, accessing the front page, accessing the TV Shows page, accessing the Daily Show page — nothing worked. there was no notification in iTunes that a new episode was available, and not even a place I could poll to see if a new episode was available, much less get it.

finally I signed out, then signed in again. and then, finally, it downloads. but it didn't get added to my shopping cart (I still use one — holdover from my dial-up days); it simply downloaded immediately. this would be fine if it were listed among the podcasts, but it's a component of the Music Store, and Music Store downloads should use the shopping cart if it's enabled.

so if you buy the multi-pass, you have to sign out and back in to make it download any new episodes. lame, Apple, lame.

I think I'll file a bug on this tomorrow.

UPDATE 2006-03-10: patr1ck suggested in the comments that I should try “Check for Purchases”. this works, but it isn't documented anywhere. I'll still file a bug today.

Technorati tags: , , , , .

3 comments:

at 3/09/2006 02:21:00 PM, Blogger Patrick Gibson said...

Have you tried clicking Avanced -> Check For Purchases? It occured to me that might work, and be a much simpler solution, although still not perfect.

 
at 3/09/2006 02:36:00 PM, Blogger Peter Hosey said...

I haven't. I'll give that a shot tonight.

 
at 3/10/2006 12:17:00 PM, Blogger Peter Hosey said...

that works. thanks for the suggestion. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home